Sunday, February 28, 2016

Top 10 of 2015

Overall, it was a  good year for film.  Although the Oscars do a somewhat decent (if not subpar) job at showing off the best in film, there are a few nominations this year that made me scratch my head. In any case, who doesn't like a good top 10 list? Be sure to comment below if you think I am missing a movie or disagree; I haven't seen them all.

1. It Follows- Maybe it's because I'm a sucker for horror but this movie took me out of my comfort zone in a way few films are able to.  It is a unique story, masterfully told, that introduces a new horror folklore we have yet to see in this genre. The film's haunting score enhances an already frightening tale into something far more foreboding.  It is a must see.

2. The Hateful Eight- Tarantino is very much in his element. It is not his best work but certainly in the top half.  Another film with a tremendous score.  Give it a listen after you see the film.

3. Spotlight- My vote for Best Picture (If I had one)

4. Sicario- You want an Oscar Snub? How about Benecio Del Toro's masterful work as the mysterious lawyer/Colombian drug enforcer/CIA agent?  An anti-hero for the ages.  The story also sheds some light on the horrors going on right across our boarders.

5. Steve Jobs- They nominated Bridge of Spies and The Martian over this? Really?!  Some absolutely iconic moments in this film and one that I look forward to re-watching.

6. Creed- The best Rocky film since Rocky.

7. The Big Short-  The performances are exceptional and a complex story is broken down for the audience in a clever way.  I will still need to watch this one again.

8. Straight Outta Compton- A very informative and compelling film about the 90's surge of hip hop in LA.

9. Bone Tomahawk- A western/horror starring Kurt Russell. It is a slow building tale with action that is so abrupt you never feel ready for it.  Might have one the most gruesome scenes in a film that I wish I could 'unsee'.

10. Ex Machina- An engrossing film on first viewing that is mysterious and unpredictable.

Honorable mentions: What we do in the Shadows, Dope, Mad Max.

An aside: I am very anxious to see Son of Saul and feel as though it would have made my list.


No comments:

Post a Comment